Other Resources - 1970s, 1980s, 1990s
This list offers a starting point for the investigation of topics in popular music studies. For further information on specific artists, please see our inductee bios.
- Aerosmith with Stephen Davis. “Walk This Way: The Autobiography of Aerosmith.” New York: Avon Books, 1999.
- Bockris, Victor. “Up-Tight: The Velvet Underground Story.” Cooper Square Press, 2003.
- Bowman, David. “This Must Be the Place: The Adventures of the Talking Heads in the Twentieth Century.” Perennial Currents, 2002.
- Davis, Stephen. “Bob Marley.” Schenkman Books Inc., 1988.
- Davis, Stephen. “Hammer of the Gods: The Led Zeppelin Saga.” Berkley Publishing Group, 2001.
- Hebdige, Dick. “Subculture: The Meaning of Style.” Routledge, 1981.
- Laing, Dave. “One Chord Wonders.” Philadelphia: Open University Press, 1985.
- Macan, Edward. “Rocking the Classics: English Progressive Rock and the Counterculture.” New York/Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1996.
- McNeil, Legs and Gillian McCain. “Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk.” Penguin Books, 1997.
- Ritz, David. “Divided Soul: The Life of Marvin Gaye.” New York: Da Capo Press, 2003.
- Rose, Tricia. “Black Noise: Rap Music and Black Culture in Contemporary America.” Wesleyan University Press, 1994.
- Savage, Jon. “England’s Dreaming: Anarchy, Sex Pistols, Punk Rock and Beyond.” New York: St. Martin’s Press, 2002.
- Schaffner, Nicholas. “Saucerful of Secrets: The Pink Floyd Odyssey.” Delta, 1992.
- Walser, Robert. “Running with the Devil: Power, Gender, and Madness in Heavy Metal Music.” Hanover, N.H.: Wesleyan University Press, 1993.
- White, Timothy. “Catch a Fire: The Life of Bob Marley.” Owl Books, 1998.
- Zappa, Frank and Peter Occhiogrosso. “The Real Frank Zappa Book.” Fireside, 1990.
- Klosterman, Chuck. “Fargo Rock City: A Heavy Metal Odyssey in Rural North Dakota.” Scribner, 2002.
- Lee, Tommy, Nikki Sixx, Mick Mars and Vince Neil. “The Dirt: Confessions of the World’s Most Notorious Rock Band.” Regan Books, 2002.
- Light, Alan (ed.). “The Vibe History of Hip-Hop.” Three Rivers Press, 1999.
- Loder, Kurt. “Bat Chain Puller: Rock and Roll in the Age of Celebrity.” Cooper Square Press, 2003.
- Rettenmund, Matthew. “Totally Awesome 80s: A Lexicon of the Music, Videos, Movies, TV Shows, Stars, and Trends of that Decadent Decade.” St. Martin’s Griffin, 1996.
- Sexton, Adam. “Desperately Seeking Madonna: In Search of the Meaning of the World’s Most Famous Woman.” Delta, 1992.
- Azerrad, Michael. “Come As You Are: The Story of Nirvana.” Main Street Books, 1993.
- Brewster, Bill and Frank Broughton. “Last Night a DJ Saved My Life: The History of the Disc Jockey.” New York: Grove Press, 2000.
- Chuck D with Yusaf Jah. “Fight the Power: Rap, Race, and Reality.” Delta, 1998.
- Dyson, Michael Eric. “Between God and Gangsta Rap: Bearing Witness to Black Culture.” New York: Oxford University Press, 1997.
- George, Nelson. “Hip Hop America.” Penguin, 2005.
- Kitwana, Bakari. “The Hip Hop Generation: Young Blacks and the Crisis in African-American Culture.” New York: BasicCivitas Books, 2002.
- Phish. “The Phish Book.” Villard, 1999.
- Thornton, Sarah. “Club Cultures: Music, Media and Subcultural Capital.” Middletown: Wesleyan University Press, 1996.
- True, Everett. “Live Through This: American Rock Music in the Nineties.” Virgin, 2002.